Always

Always trying to be so good
Remembering to keep my cool
And play by all the rules

Always fighting to succeed
Even when I’m on my knees
Losing sight of what it all means

Why does it always have to be so tough
Why do I never feel like it’s ever enough

Always trying so hard to win
Feeling like a loser
Never even coming in
Second or third
And I know it’s absurd
Cuz that’s not what it’s all about
Or so they say…
But look me in the eye
Cuz every night I pray
For my turn to believe the lie

Always gotta be strong
Don’t look back
Just carry on

Always overcome
Keep your mind sharp
Play it smart, don’t look dumb

Always hold on tight
And remember to let go
But whatever you do
Don’t let anyone know
How hard it has been
To sell your soul

Always say it was meant
To be:
“I never had no doubt” & “I could ALWAYS see”
Don’t tell us how it came to be
We want not the truth
We believe only the proof

In the lies of what we always see.